I will hold nothing back

Worship is not just the songs I sing; it is my lifestyle. It will be passionate. It will be driven. It will demand an explanation. I will be open; I will be vulnerable. I will stay broken and humble at the feet of Jesus. I will live with such intensity that I must continually seek God's presence so I don't burn out. I will seek God first in everything. I will be filled so I can pour myself out over and over. I will desire nothing but to sit at the feet of Jesus and cry, "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come." I will live for the glory of my Savior.

5.31.2010

It’s not my job

As two station workers enjoyed their lunch break in the sun, the peaceful silence was broken by terrified screams and frantic running. "THE TRAIN'S COMING!" The hysterical twelve-year-old nearly toppled over the workers as he tried to gain action out of them. One of them glanced disinterestedly at him and asked "Yeah, so what?" The boy was confused and frustrated at their lack of response. "SO, THE BRIDGE IS UP! They'll crash into the river if you don't put it down!" The man shrugged. "Not my job." The boy stared at him in disbelief, then turned to the man next to him. "Please help," he begged. "They'll DIE if the bridge isn't put down!" The second man was even less interested. "Go run along, kid. You obviously have no idea how the company works. It's not my job." The boy turned away, then watched in horror and anguish as the train sailed into thin air, then plummeted into the icy waters below.

So tell me, should these workers be fired from their jobs? "What!?" you gasp. "Fired!? They should be arrested and prosecuted to the full extent of the law! They were responsible for hundreds of deaths!" Ah, but remember, dealing with the bridge wasn't part of their job title. "So what?" you stare at me in disbelief. "It doesn't matter what your position says; it's ALWAYS your job to protect others, especially when it comes to working in an area you are very familiar with." Good, so we agree on that.

But what if I looked you in the eyes and said that you were just like those workers? "Excuse me?" you ask incredulously. "I would never endanger someone's life like that; let alone hundreds of them!" But tell me, how many times do you walk by someone without caring that their soul is standing on the precipice of eternity; that they are one small fall (or jump) away from the fiery gates of hell? How often has someone come to me seeking God's love and redemption, and I turned away? How many times have we sent them to the pastor, the counselor, whatever, because "It's not my job."?

The fact of the matter is that it's not the pastor's job to do the work of the ministry (i.e. witness to people, share the gospel, make disciples, etc). It's our job. It is the job of the pastor to prepare us to do so. Jesus calls everyone to make disciples. That's the reason we're here. Because by bringing people to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, His glory increases. And bringing glory to God is the sole purpose of every human being. (I should clarify something here. I'm not saying pastors aren't called to share the gospel and make disciples. They have that same calling just like every other believer. My point here is that we are way too quick to shove that job off solely on the shoulders of the pastor, when really it's almost the other way around. They disciple us and train us so we can go out and minister effectively.)

"But," you might protest. "I'm not ready. I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to discipling! What if I mess up?" Let me be perfectly honest: You will never be ready. Ever. Not on your own. But that's how it should be; we can do nothing on our own. We must rely completely on Jesus to work through us. We don't create the results, we are simply asked to be obedient and let Him do the work through us. And the more you do it, the better it'll get, and the more comfortable you'll be. Trust me, your coaches weren't kidding when they said "Practice makes perfect."

We all fall and make mistakes. We're human after all. But do you really think God is going to get tripped up over your little mistakes? I don't know about you, but the God I serve is so infinitely bigger than me and my failures that He can and does work in spite of me. Failing is not a reason to quit. Like it or not, and whether your "title" says so or not, it is your job to shine God's light in the darkness.

Matthew 28:18-20

"Jesus came and spoke to them saying, 'All authority has been given to Me in heaven and earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.'"

No comments: