So, I walked into a certain Christian bookstore the other day, and what do I see but this big sign that says, "October is ministry appreciation month!" Uh, excuse me? For as long as I can remember, October has been pastor appreciation month. Now, I have nothing, I repeat, nothing, against giving credit to those in the ministry who are not called pastors per say, such as children's ministers, missionaries, etc. They definitely should be acknowledged. They work hard in the harvest field and are often overlooked. BUT, I am tired of the way political correctness is seeping into the church. It could be compared to changing Washington and Lincoln's birthdays into President's Day, or Secretaries Day to Administrative Assistant's Day. October was chosen to honor our pastors-remember, the ones who fight relentlessly against deception, wickedness, and perversion? Those who challenge us to grow and not remain at the status quo in our relationship with Jesus Christ? Again, I don't have a problem with saluting those in the ministry not specifically called pastors, but we shouldn't take away the respect and honor due our pastors. Anybody hear me?
Since we're on the subject of pastors, I want to take a minute to thank a couple of very special pastors in my life. The first is my dad. Most wouldn't think of my dad as a pastor, but being a father demands it of him. He has taught me more than anyone else has about living for Jesus. He has shown me by his lifestyle and his words what it means to draw closer to Him every day. He has taught me how to defend against the wiles of the enemy, to love God's Word and know how to defend it, and how to cherish the time of intimacy with my Savior. I love you, Dad.
The other pastor I want to thank is Pastor Bruce at Maranatha Christian Church. He has been my pastor for as long as I can remember. He taught me how to study the Bible; more importantly, he taught me how to get excited about studying the Bible. God has used Bruce to encourage me in hard times, and to convict me when I need it. I am so thankful to have a pastor who is not afraid to speak the truth, even at the risk of "offending" someone. I need it once in a while.
Pages
I will hold nothing back
Worship is not just the songs I sing; it is my lifestyle. It will be passionate. It will be driven. It will demand an explanation. I will be open; I will be vulnerable. I will stay broken and humble at the feet of Jesus. I will live with such intensity that I must continually seek God's presence so I don't burn out. I will seek God first in everything. I will be filled so I can pour myself out over and over. I will desire nothing but to sit at the feet of Jesus and cry, "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come." I will live for the glory of my Savior.
1 comment:
Hi Andrea,
Nice post. :-) I especially liked what you said about your dad - that's awesome! But isn't it sad how most churches today are so lukewarm, and buying into all the world's ideas?
Thanks for always being bold to speak out for what you believe!!
In Jesus, Hannah
Post a Comment